Scotch Broth Recipe
Ever wondered what you should do with the meat bones from a lamb roast? Tuck them away in the freezer for a cold day when you decide to make some Scotch Broth.
Brown meaty lamb bones in 450'F oven for 23-30 minutes.
Place bones in a slow cooker with:
1 diced onion
1 cup of chopped celery
3 diced carrots
1 cup diced turnip
2 bay leaves
Salt & pepper to taste
3. Cover with water and simmer for 3 hours.
4. Remove bones and cool while you strip the meat off the bones
5. Chop meat and put back into slow cooker. Add the following:
a. 1/2 cup barley
b. 1 grated potato
6. Simmer for another 2-3 hours, adjusting seasoning as needed
7. Serve with buns or biscuits
Turnip and barley are the key ingredients that make this Scotch broth no just any old old lamb soup. Enjoy and remind yourself to eat lamb more often.